My child has been charged with a crime in juvenile court, what do I do?

When a child is charged with a criminal act, most likely it will be in juvenile court. This is because juvenile court treats juveniles different than criminal courts treat adults.

This doesn't mean that one shouldn't use caution. An adjudication (or conviction) in juvenile court can lead to serious consequences such as showing up on a background check, being ordered to complete an juvenile group home, or no being hired in the future for employment opportunities. Just like a criminal offense, the State must prove a juvenile crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Your child needs an experienced attorney on his or her case that will explore whether the State can prove your child is guilty. We will look at options available to your child such as holding the charge in abeyance (where your child doesn't plead guilty but must complete certain probation terms before their case is dismissed), a consent decree (similar to a deferred judgment where your child pleads guilty but their charge is dismissed if they follow terms of probation) or taking the case to trial because the State doesn't have the evidence to successfully prosecute your case.

No case is the same and we will meet with you to discuss your child's delinquency case. The attorneys at Derek Johnson Law Office offer a free initial consultation to discuss the facts and options available to you. Call your delinquency attorney today at 515-955-2193 or 855-955-2193.