The Court looks at how to equitably divide you and your spouse’s property when you go through a divorce.
This does not mean a 50/50 split down to the penny. An experienced family law attorney can look at your financial circumstances and determine how best to structure your property settlement so that you can move on to the next chapter of your life. We will inform you of the process of getting divorced so that there are no surprises. Further we will help you understand how property is valued so you understand the value of the property at stake.
As to dividing your property the court uses the following factors in determining how to divide property:
- The length of the marriage.
- The property brought to the marriage by each party.
- The contribution of each party to the marriage, giving appropriate economic value to each party’s contribution in homemaking and child care services.
- The age and physical and emotional health of the parties.
- The contribution by one party to the education, training, or increased earning power of the other.
- The earning capacity of each party.
- The desirability of awarding the family home or the right to live in the family home to the party having custody of the children.
- The amount and duration of an order granting spousal support to a party.
- Other economic circumstances.
- The tax consequences to each party.
- Any written agreement made by the parties concerning property distribution.
- The provisions of an antenuptial agreement.
- Other factors the court may determine to be relevant in an individual case.
Furthermore, inherited property and gifts received by one party are excluded and normally awarded to the individual spouse who owns the property.
Our attorneys will look closely at your case to get all of the information before exploring a possible property settlement with you spouse. We also are experienced advocates ready to go to court if your spouse is unwilling to be reasonable. We have offices located in Fort Dodge and service most of central and North central Iowa. Call a qualified divorce attorney today at 515-955-2193 or toll free 855-955-2193.
Derek Johnson Law Office
809 Central Avenue
Fort Dodge, Iowa 50501
855-955-2193 Toll Free